Running is one of the best forms of exercise that anybody can ever take up. The cardiovascular activity is great for weight control, organ health, and mental wellbeing alike. When the right training strategy is followed in a consistent manner, you can see telling results in a matter of weeks. However, new runners should familiarise themselves with the health risks that they may encounter.
Here are the most common threats that you must look out for, along with the best ways to handle them.
While exercise is an important feature of beating chronic pain, the repetitive nature of running can cause injuries too. Shin splints and foot injuries are among the most common. For many new runners, they can be attributed to very simple sources. The list includes wearing the wrong attire and doing too much, too soon.
Thankfully, this also means that there are simple solutions. Try the following;
- Change your running shoes. Then use 3-5 short jogging sessions to help them adapt to your feet.
- Refrain from increasing your mileage too quickly. A 10% increase each week is the upper limit.
- Always stretch before and after exercise. Follow this up by giving your body a chance to rest.
When injuries continue, speaking to a doctor is advised. Whether you require medical treatment or simply need to change your approach to running, curing the problem is essential. You won’t see any success if you’re unable to run due to ongoing pains.
When thinking about protection for runners, skincare isn’t the first thing that springs to mind. But it should be. The body’s natural protective barrier needs extra support when you intend to spend more time outside. Furthermore, you must respect the fact that new and repetitive movements can cause irritation.
Prevention is the best form of protection, which is why you should;
- Invest in the right sub lotion, which can handle sweat and perspiration.
- Wear the right attire, including base layer garments that won’t cause chafing or discomfort.
- Learn how to deal with sun damaged skin in an effective manner. And prevent future problems.
Skin irritations can quickly harm your enjoyment when running while also leaving marks that impact your look on a daily basis. The fact that a lack of protection may put your health at risk must not be overlooked either. Skincare is a key part of your preparations.
For many runners, weight loss is the main source of motivation. While running is a great way to create a calorie deficit, you must not ignore the need to fuel your workouts. Not eating enough is as dangerous as overeating. Besides, it can have a detrimental impact on your metabolism, which will restrict the weight loss process.
To ensure that your body is suitably fueled, you should:
- Practice eating jelly babies or gels on longer runs to keep your sugar levels up.
- Replace the electrolytes lost through sweat. Water alone won’t suffice.
- Ensure that you eat an hour or two before running, and immediately after.
The right nutrition can actively aid your body transformation and general health. The fact it corresponds with improved run speeds and endurance is even better. Conversely, failure to get it right will undo the good work you’ve achieved elsewhere.